Are you looking for that perfect fitting best crossbow that will meet all of your hunting and recreational needs; but you cannot find a true and trusted resource to guide you through the shopping process?
On ArcherStop we are dedicated to giving you the best resource to help you decide which crossbow will fit your specific hunting style.
There are four different types of bows on the market today Longbows, Compound bows, Recurve bows, and Crossbows.
Today we are going to discuss the Crossbow and the main factors that distinguish this bow from the rest. If you look around you will find many brands and makers who produce compact and capable crossbows.
In this large and vast market it is hard to distinguish which bows stand out above the rest, especially if you are new to this great sport. We are here to help you select the best crossbow for you; rather you are a seasoned bow enthusiast or just starting out and looking for your first crossbow.
BEST CROSSBOW REVIEWS 2017
Our goal is to help you weave through the various crossbows so that you can find a safe and reliable model that will fit your lifestyle.
We will walk you through the Top and Best rated models on the market and give we will provide you with true first had recommendations and ratings to help you choose what bow is right for your needs by providing you with top rated crossbow reviews.
We will also point out key points that you should take into account when choosing a new bow by offering reviews on various crossbows.
|Arrow Precission Inferno Fury||Slow||Medium||7.7|
|Barnett Wildcat C5||Fast||Medium||8.5|
|Barnett Jackal Package||Fast||Loud||7|
|Barnett Ghost 350 CRT||Fast||Medium||7.6|
|Barnett Ghost 410 CRT||Fast||Quiet||7.3|
|Excalibur Vixen II||Medium||Medium||5.9|
|Excalibur Micro 335||Fast||Medium||6|
|Barnett BCX Buck Commander Extreme CRT||Medium||Quiet||7.9|
|Barnett Quad 400||Fast||Medium||13|
|Sa Sport Fever||Medium||Medium||4.8|
WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR IN A BOW?
- When you are choosing your bow you should always be careful and look at the draw length and draw weight. Your draw length should be the measurement between your full arm span divided by 2.5 (e.i 54 inch divided by 2.5 equals a draw length of 21.6.)
- Your draw weight should be calculated by the following chart following these tips.
- When choosing a bow (compound and recurve) it is also important that you look for what hand the product is made for (Left or Right handed). This is different with crossbows, because you can hold it with one or the other hand. They way they are built prevents the interchange of crossbows between hands.
- Next thing that is important is the speed of the bow. This will vary depending on what you will use the bow for. If you are using it for hunting you should of course look for the fastest crossbow in your price range. This is to ensure a deeper faster penetration on animals that you are hunting providing a swift and clean kill. Speed is not as important if you are only target shooting, but hey it’s also up to you and what do you like.
- Before you go out and purchase a bow you should research the product thoroughly. Investing in top of the line products which are made of highest quality materials will last you longer and ultimately save you time and money. However, the top & best-selling bows are more sophisticated and in some cases they are easier to work with.
- Finally, you should check the warranty, an aspect many forget to check. If a part of the bow malfunctions, breaks or is damaged the company may cover the repairs or replacement of the product. A good way to judge the products success is by the length of the warranty. If a company is willing to give you a lifetime warranty then that says that they will stand behind their product.
WEIGHT OF PERSON
ESTIMATED DRAW WEIGHT
Very small child
Small frame woman
Medium frame woman
Athletic older child
Small frame men
Large frame women
Medium frame men
Large frame men
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT CROSSBOWS
A crossbow is different than the traditional bow while still retaining many similarities; such as the horizontal bow which is mounted on a stock. Another recognizable feature is the scope or the sights for aiming. If we compare it to a gun, we can say that it also has some similarity because of the design and also because you can would use the same or similar aim methods as with a rifle. They can be excellent for beginners who are starting out, because a crossbow is easier to shoot. A big difference between the normal bows and crossbows is also in speed, because crossbows are faster.
Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 model which is really a beast would be our top recommended model on the market today! Why you may ask? After thoroughly researching this product we have found that almost everyone reviewing crossbows are giving it his praises and giving them top ratings and reviews. While the Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 is a little bit pricey the quality tells why. We have also included a video about this amazing State-of-the-Art crossbow in action, so take a look below.
**Please not that there has been a manufacture’s recall on this bow due to accidental discharge because the sear contacts are wearing prematurely. The company still stands behind their product and is replacing the parts free of charge. Please make sure when purchasing the Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 that it has had the sear contacts replaced prior to purchase or send it in to the manufacture to have a free replacement of these parts.
SOME BASICS ON HOW TO PROPERLY USE A CROSSBOW
As mentioned above we have included a video tutorial of one of the top crossbows which talks all about how it is made and how to properly use the crossbow. We recommend that you take the time and view the videos and learn about the safety and basic information in regards to the crossbow. Please read our crossbow reviews for more information of the differences between models, to provide you with added safety information. Take a look below:
WONDERING WHAT YOU SHOULD DO NEXT?
At this point you have read and hopefully understand more about types of crossbows and what would fit your needs and how to choose the best one for your life style. There are two things you can do now to help you decide on which crossbow is for you. First, is that if you are still having issues deciding which model would work best for your needs you can take a look at the reviews below or at our reviews page for a larger in-depth review on some of the most popular crossbows models and other type of bows. The second thing is that you can take action by going to your local dealer to viewing and testing the different models or order one or more for yourself and start enjoying hunting or at shooting targets with your new crossbow.
The Arrow Precision Inferno Fury is a lightweight alternative to the larger crossbows on the market. The lightweight makes it easy to use for both men and woman alike.
The ambidextrous auto safety allows for both left and right handed use of the crossbow, making this a more universal choice for the avid sportsmen. This model includes a cock string which allows for an easier load, but be warned that if you don’t line up the cock string in the groves at the rear of the stock you could scratch the paint or damage the cock string.
The power and accuracy on this model are exceptional, shooting through a target, double plywood and a metal door with ease. So please dial it in OUTSIDE and remember safety first! That is why we believe the Arrow Precision Inferno Fury is the best crossbow on the market today.
- This bow is very powerful
- Comes with a great site providing accuracy
- Accuracy up to 60 yards
- Kills up to 65 yards
- Fore grip does not have padding
- Draw weight is a little heavy
- May be dangerous of indoor use and with beginners
- No dampening system causing louder noise
The Barnett Wildcat C5 Crossbow comes in at 8.5 lbs and while still lightweight it is a little heavier for a small framed women and children. The Wildcat C5 is made up of composite GAM stock, thumbhole grip, vented quad limbs high energy wheels and paired with Crosswire String and Cable system.
There is an Optional crank attachment and we would highly recommend investing in this piece it is worth the money to provide an easier loading system since it does NOT come with a cock string.
This is one of the most accurate bows with a Premium Red Dot Scope. The kinetic force was surprisingly showing at 40-50 yards with the arrows completely penetrating and exiting the target. But watch yourself the power behind this crossbow can easily shatter your arrows even at 30 yards out! Wow that’s some power!!
- This is a very durable and made with high quality
- Stocked with a red dot scope providing high accuracy
- Shoots with high speeds
- Strong kinetic force that can split low quality arrow
- GAM stock with easy handle thumb grip
- Easy to over shoot targets at 40 yards
- Heavy to carry at 8.5 lbs
- Does not come with a cocking device
The Barnett Jackal Crossbow is a devastating military style bow that any advice sportsman would love to add to their arsenal.
This 7lbs compact crossbow is equipped with a Quad Limb High energy wheels and Synthetic string and cable system producing surprisingly fast arrow speeds.
The 28mm Single Red Dot Scope lends to the accuracy up to 40 yards but the questionability on a kill shot is limited to the 40yards after that you will need to adjust your aim to hit your target.
- High energy wheels and synthetic cables adds a high velocity
- Stocks a red dot scope for accuracy
- Does not come with a cocking rope
- A little louder than some crossbows
The Barnett Ghost 350 CRT (Carbon Riser Technology) is considered an ultra light due to the CRT balancing system. The 7.6 lbs Ghost boasts the patented CRT which increases its safety factor to a 5 to 1 with its ADF (Anti-Dry Fire) and MIM (Metal Injection Molding) trigger system.
The power and speed on this crossbow will blow your mind when you combine it with the 3x32mm Scope adding amazing accuracy and precision your sure to hit that bulls-eye every time.
It took setting up two targets to keep from losing arrows because of the sheer power behind this Ghost sends the arrows straight through your targets. So watch those arrows close or you may not get them back!
- Incorporates the carbon riser technology for a faster firing speed
- Well balanced creating a light weight feel
- Equipped with anti-dry fire system for safety
- Equipped with a 3x32 scope for accuracy
- Reloading takes a little longer
- May over shoot targets or shoot trough the targets
The Barnett Ghost 420 weighs in at just 7.3 lbs with a 20” axel to axle making this compact crossbow a game changer. The CRT (Carbonlite Riser Technology) helps to balance the weight making it feel lighter and easier to carry and shoot.
The Ghost 410 is wickedly fast and dead on accurate with its 3×32 Scope. If you didn’t listen hard you would almost miss the sound when it’s fired that’s how quiet this crossbow is, we can clearly see why it’s called a ghost because you almost miss it when it’s there.
While this is on the higher cost end of crossbows the well balanced, lightweight, speed and quiet firing is worth the extra investment. It is defiantly in the best crossbows of 2017.
- Very powerful with 410 FPS
- Accuracy over 70 yards
- The CTR helps to balance the weight making this a light weight and easy to carry crossbow
- Requires excessive amounts of wax (more than other models)
The Excalibur Vixen II is a high performance crossbow designed for the smaller framed women and youth sportsman without compromising on quality.
It’s available in “Realtree Hardwoods™” to help perk the interest of women and youth alike. With its 150 lbs draw weight its idea for easy reloading, especially if you invest in the optional cocking device.
Its precision accuracy provides hours of entertainment at any targeting range. Weighing only 5.9 lbs it is easy one of the best crossbows of its size.
- Made for small framed women and youth
- Includes cocking rope for easier loading
- Good for hunting medium to small game
- Extremely light weight at only 5.9 lbs
- Doesn't come with anti-dry fire, which would be nice for youth and first time sportsman
- Does not have the same high power to take down large game or long distances
The Excalibur Crossbow Micro 335 comes in at a whopping 6 lbs making this lightweight crossbow surprisingly light for the power and accuracy you get from it.
Straight out of the box the aim is true and dead on as it groups at 1 inch at 40 yards. This crossbow has a simple and straight forward design making it easier to use and change out the strings in the field.
It is equipped with a cheek pad for comfort and low recoil making this a one of the best crossbow for first timers. The kinetic power is strong enough to take down a full grown boar at 50 yards, penetrating through its front leg and into its heart first shot! It can’t get better than that.
- Accurate at over 70+ yards
- Consistent performance is all types of weather
- Well balanced making it easy to carry
- No anti-dry fire system
- High speeds will create danger of over shooting or shooting trough the targets
The Barnett BCX Buck Commander Extreme CRT Crossbow is a speed demon ready for whatever your sportsman’s heart desires. The Buck Commander Extreme is only 7.9 lbs so it is easy to carry on those long tracks.
It was shocking to see a dead on triple arrow split (a triple Robin Hood) at 30 yard and then again at 40 yards; there is no questioning the accuracy on this crossbow!
While this model is a little heavier to cock a cock string makes loading and reloading much easier. We would however suggest upgrading the scope. The scope that comes with it makes hunting in dim morning and evening light more unreliable.
- Light and compact
- Stock is ergonomic and durable
- Best crossbow for this price range
- Includes an anti-dry fire system
- Difficult to assemble
- No sling
The Barnett Quad 400 Crossbow is impressive from the start. While it is a little heavier, at 13 lbs, it’s still one of the best crossbows on the market.
Once you get the hang of the Premium Red Dot Sight it’s easy to get that bull’s-eye 19 out of 20 times. The Barnett Quad 400 comes with a cock string to help with loading but the optional crank cock kit does leave something to be desired.
The kinetic energy on this bad boy doesn’t disappoint as it easily fully penetrates at 60, yes I said 60, yards. This is going to be the best crossbow for those long distance shots.
- The power in combination to the well balanced system makes for a comfortable shot
- Very accurate with the red dot sights
- high velocity creating a farther and more accurate shot and penetration at long distances
- Issues with scope and string
- Scope falls of easily and it's hard to get the company to do repairs
- Needs an optional crank cock kit
The SA Sports Fever Crossbow is perfect for youth and small framed woman coming in at 4.8 lbs, making it a very light weight crossbow. For the first time sportsman this bow can easily hit targets at 20 and 40 yards.
We’ve added it here, because it’s ideal for a youth just learning about crossbows. While this bow is on the cheaper side it is also a great beginner’s bow. It has the kinetic energy to easily take down a deer within 40 yards.
With the right practice anyone could easily Robin Hood with the SA Sports Fever, even the inexperienced youth or reluctant first timer!
- Great started crossbow
- Includes everything you need to enter into this sport
- Needs to be strung when assembling
- Included bolts break easily
- Inaccuracy at long distances, needs an upgraded scope