Building a crossbow can be quite simple and easy. You can build one in your own house. You just need to have the correct materials to build it. today I’m going to show you the steps to make your own crossbow at home.
To make it easier for you, I have also found a video on how to build a crossbow and you can find it at the end of the article.
MATERIALS THAT YOU WILL NEED ARE:
- Pine wood
- Measuring tape
- PVC glue
- Safety goggles
- Wood rasp
- Hand saw or a circular saw
- Power drill
- Varnish or wood stain
- Nylon string
- Wood screw.
BUILDING THE CROSSBOW BODY
MAKING THE STOCK
- First thing you need to do is make a stock. For that you need to measure wood. So that the stock you make from it, is comfortable and matches the length of your arm.
- Begin with a pine board measuring 2 inches wide, 2 inches tall and 38 inches long.
- Hold the board in your hands as you would hold a rifle and with one end of the board pressed against your shoulder find a comfortable and suitable length to mark the board with a marker where you would like to cut it.
Note: It is to keep in mind before measuring that if your stock is long, you will achieve more power. So the required measurement is less than 1 meter that is 3.2 feet. For if it is over 1 meter your bow will shatter.
SAWING OFF THE EXRA WOOD
- After marking your desired length saw off the extra wood with either a hand saw or a circular saw.
Note: You should saw in an area which is ventilated. And also use safety goggles to avoid getting sawdust in your eyes.
MAKING THE TRIGGER
- To make a trigger you should follow the same steps as you did to make the stock.
- Hold the wood pressed against one end of the shoulder and mark a small point where you feel comfortable to have the handle and the trigger.
- On the point where you marked, make a rounded rectangle of 1 inch wide and 4 inches long, on the top of the wood and not on the side of it.
Note: It is to keep in mind to draw the rectangle in the center of the wood where you marked the point.
CUTTING OUT THE RECTANGLE
- Using a drill, wood rasp or a chisel scrape out the wood within the area in which you drew a rectangle. Be very careful so that the wood is not broken down into two pieces.
- Remove the wood until you have the rectangular shaped hole and smooth its edges with sandpaper.
MAKING THE GROOVE
- You need to make a groove now. This creates a place for the string which will rest horizontally across the hole you made.
- Again using the same tools, wood rasp and a chisel, make a 1/8 inch groove. Again sand it to smooth out the edges.
CUTTING THE GROOVE
- Farthest from the string grove mark the center of the end of the board.
- Mark the end of the center of the rectangle hole.
- Between the two marks, draw a line. Cut a ¼ inch channel and sand the groove smooth.
CREATING A GRIP
- To make the grip, Use another piece of pine wood.
- Cutting the wood around 8 inches long, use a PVC glue to attach it to the bottom of the stock. Leave it to dry for an hour or two.
SEALING THE WOOD
- To ensure the wood is protected and safe from the elements, use wood stain, varnish or another wood sealer after the glue has been dried up.
MAKING THE BOW
While the crossbow body is being dried up you can now move onto the next step. That is to make the bow.
CUTTING THE PVC PIPE
- You need to cut a 36 inch length PVC pipe using a hacksaw.
- Be accurate in marking the length
CUTTING A GROOVE
- Using a hacksaw cut a small groove on both the end of the pipe.
- The groove should be able to fit a small wood screw.
ATTACHING THE PULLEYS
- Attach pulleys to one end of the bow through which strings will be passed.
- On both ends of the pipe insert a wood screw. Using wire ties, attach the pulleys to the screws.
THREADING THE STRING
- For the crossbow to fire correctly, thread nylon strings through the two pulleys.
- On the left side of the pipe, tie the ends of one nylon string to the screw.
- Now bring it on the right end of pipe across the pulley looping it around and into the pulley.
- Loop the string from the left side around the pulley on the left.
- Now bring it to the right and secure it to the opposite wood screw.
Note: Pull the string lightly so that you are able to pull the string back easily to fire the bow.
ATTACHING THE BOW TO THE STOCK
CREATING A GROVE ON THE END OF THE STOCK
- Create a groove deep enough on the stock so that it fits the pipe securely.
SECURING THE BOW TO STOCK
- By using a duct tape secure the pipe to the stock wrapping it at the end of the stock and around the pipe.
- The other two stings should be on the bottom so as not to interfere with the crossbow being fired.
CONSTRUCTING THE TRIGGER SYSTE
- Draw the letter L on a thinner piece of wood.
- Cut the L shape with a saw which will be the trigger.
CREATING A CHANNEL
- Carve a 1/8 inch of channel across the L shape wood with a chisel.
DRILLING A HOLE
- Drill a hole which should be centered in the wood by the corner of the L shape.
- It must be large to fit the nail to attach it to the wooded stock.
ATTACHING THE TRIGGER
- Pull the trigger into the hole you made by the groove facing it upwards with the L pointing forward.
- Push the nail through the stock using a hammer and hold the trigger.
Building the Handle and Butt
CUTTING OUT THE HANDLE
- Use a pine wood and cut a length of 8 inch which will be used as a handle.
ATTACHING THE HANDLE TO THE STOCK
- Attach the handle using glue to the stock.
- To secure it firmly hammer a few nails into the handle.
How to make a crossbow video
Here is a video how a guy guide you how to build a crossbow. Take a look below.
Building a crossbow is an easy task. You will have all the necessary materials at home or around your corner at the nearest hardware shop. When building your crossbow you just need to be precise in your markings and be cautious of the tools you are using. In no more than a few hour’s time you will have built yourself a crossbow at your own comfort zone and that too not an expensive one!
If you want a top quality crossbow you should look at how to pick the best model for you. We also listed some of top rated beasts. You might also be interested in a crossbow scope to aim more precisely. To practice and improve your skills you should also take a look at some archery targets. Complete your equipment with right bolts and quality broadheads. When you have all your necessary equipment I suggest you read our article about hunting tips and how to shoot a crossbow.